Ashwagandha: (Withania somnifera): Best Rejuvenating Herb of the Modern Times.
The term Ashwagandha is derived from Sanskrit, which is a combination of two root words, ASWA means horse and GANDHA means to smell. The root of this plant has the strong odor which is like horse smell. In Traditional Ayurvedic Medicine it is used for arthritis, insomnia, stress, asthma, rejuvenation and for fibromyalgia etc. Most widely used in the western world for male aphrodisiac and energy booster and it is also called as INDIAN GINSENG
Advantages of using Ashwagandha:
According to Ayurvedic medicine, it is used to rejuvenate and revitalize the body, the specific advantage of using Ashwagandha is it has the dual function, on one hand, it works to promote energy and on another hand, it provides calmness in the body. Because of its dual function, it can be used to strengthen the nervous system. Predominantly, used in Ayurvedic medicine for managing agitation, frustration, and irritability.
- Rejuvenation and revitalization
- Stress adoption
- Promotes healthy sleep patterns
- Supports healthy reproductive functions
- Enhances the vigor and vitality
- Immunomodulatory effects
- Pacify Vata and Kapha, excellent in using all the conditions that are caused due to Vata and Kapha.
- Vajeekarana: Increases sexual desire
- Rasayana: Promotes all tissue functions in the body or cellular functions.
- Balya: Promotes the energy
- Sukrala: Promotes the quantity and quality of the sperm
- Shwitropaha: used in the treatment of skin conditions such as Leucoderma or white patches
- Shothahara: Used in the management of inflammation and edema
- Kshyapaha: Treating weakness and promotes nourishment
- Rasa (Taste): Bitter, Pungent and Sweet
- Guna(Property): Light and Unctuous
- Veerya (Potency): Hot in nature
- Vipaka (Post Digestive taste): Sweet
- Used for Stress and Cholesterol management
- Immunomodulation in cancer treatments
- Promotes sperm quality
How to find good quality Ashwagandha?
Good quality Ashwagandha is mainly sourced from INDIA; usually available as the powder or capsule forms or traditional Ayurvedic preparations, at AYUNA we source a good quality Ashwagandha in our products like REVIVE –M and S-Enhance. We use quality Aswagahda extract in our products which tested for its quality in TGA certified or approved laboratories for its identification and purity. All our products are made in Australia and TGA listed.
Narendra Singh, Mohit Bhalla, Prashanti de Jager, and Marilena Gilca An Overview on Ashwagandha: A Rasayana (Rejuvenator) of Ayurveda. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2011; 8(5 Suppl): 208–213.
Dhuley JN: Effect of Asgand on lipid peroxidation in stress-induced animals. J Ethnopharmacol. 1998; 7 (2): 173-78.
Aggarwal R, Diwanay S, Patki P and Patwardhan B: Studies on immunomodulatory activity of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) extracts in experimental immune inflammation. J Ethnopharmacol. 1999; 97: 27-35
Bhattacharya SK1, Muruganandam AV: an Adaptogenic activity of Withania somnifera: an experimental study using a rat model of chronic stress. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003 Jun;75(3):547-55.